Stephen Lewin most famously lived and worked in the now historic St Paul's Studios in Talgarth Road, Hammersmith, West London. He lived at Studio number 8, before moving his family to Bath Road, Chiswick. His travels to Europe between 1882 and 1885 may have inspired this painting but he was already established as an artist of historical subjects. He exhibited paintings at the Royal Academy, Royal Society of Artists, Birmingham and Royal Institute of Oil Painters. His work is held by museums in Sheffield, Nuneaton and Bournemouth.